How to Stay Fit and Healthy While on Vacation
It is hard enough to stay disciplined with diet and exercise in everyday life, let alone while on vacation. We know eating healthy during a vacation can be a challenge so we wanted to provide some tips on how to stay healthy on your next getaway!
- Stay Hydrated: Hydration may seem like common sense, but a lot of people are out of their normal routine when traveling and neglect to think about drinking enough water.
- Stay Active: Try to keep some kind of workout routine while you're traveling away from home. Almost every resort and cruise ship has a fitness center you can use while vacationing. Whenever possible, use the stairs and skip the elevators. Also, if it's within a mile, walk. This is a great chance to explore and get a ton of miles without it really feeling like exercise.
- Don't Overindulge: The biggest reason people gain weight while on vacation is from eating too much. A trick to remember is that just because food may be included or complimentary doesn't mean you need to eat it all. It's how MUCH you eat rather than WHAT you eat that gets you into nutritional trouble. Most resorts and cruise ships offer a wide variety of healthy meals, making it easier to continue eating healthy.
It can be extra hard to stay on top of a healthy diet and regular exercise when you're on a vacation. Here are a few tips to stay healthy while youre traveling:
- Stay hydrated. Though it may seem like common sense, many people forget to drink water when their routine is thrown off by a vacation.
- You don't have to go crazy working out on a vacation but you should keep some sort of a fitness routine.
- Most cruise ships and resorts have a fitness center and generally, have many other activities to help you stay active if you don't like working out at the gym.
- Skip the elevator for the stairs.
- Pack your walking shoes and sightsee via walking instead of taking public transportation.
- Overeating is the biggest reason for weight gain while you're on vacation. Remember that just because food may be complimentary doesn't mean you need to eat it all!
- Opt for healthier food options at meals instead of heavier food.
- Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're comfortable.